The characteristic of the current state of St Catherine’s Church in Bagrowo
The parish in Bagrowo was erected in the 14th century beside the local village (referred to for the first time in 1404). The St Catherine the Great Martyr’s Church itself existed at the beginning of the 16th century. Liber Beneficiorum mentioned it in 1510. The original church fell into ruin in the 17th century. Not having the possibility of reconstructing it, the landlord handed it over into the 15 years’ worth of management of Franciscans from Poznań. They were supposed to rebuild the church in 5 years. On the account of a separate contract, said Franciscans obtained the parish and successfully rebuilt the church. In 1751, they erected a new wooden temple exactly in the place of the old one. It was consecrated in 1752 by bishop Pawłowski the Poznan suffragan. They left the parish in 1822.
The current church is a log-framed building with a single-nave. It is orientated and based on a brick foundation. The polygonal presbytery is distinctly lower than the nave. To its side, a brick sacristy is attached. Crowned with a cross, a flat-roofed post-and-beam tower is adjacent to the nave from the west.
Inside, there is valuable historic equipment. The profiled rood beam is decorated with two sculptures of angels dating back to the second half of the 16th century; however two side altars are younger and they date from the 18th century. The altar and wall pictures came to existence in similar to the altars’ birth time, i.e. the 17th and the 18th century.
There is a late-classical tomb of Edward Dobrogojski, who died in the battle of Miłosław in 1848, located in the by-church cemetery.
The parish counts 98 individuals and is the smallest parish in Poland.
In August 2011, a complete refurbishment of the tower, roof, and outer walls was completed alongside with the replacement of windows and doors. The terrain around the church was meliorated and fenced. A granite procession pavement was also laid.
In the years 2017-2019 with the help of the European Union as part of the Operational Programme Infrastructure and Environment 2014-2020, restoration work of the inside and historic equipment of the church was conducted.
The restoration of:
- the main wooden altar dating back to the second half of the 8th century
- the St Anthony’s side altar dating back to about 1680
- a couple of angels from the rood beam – the sculptures dating from the half of the 17th century
- the sculptures of St Catherine and St Stanislaw the Bishop
- a table with the inscription was done.