The characteristic of the current state of St Clemens’s Church in Zakrzewo near Rawicz
The existing St Clemens’s Church in Zakrzewo was built in 1610 and was of log frame structure. A brick tomb chapel was annexed to it in 1647 from the north, along with sacristy from the east. The existing log frame structure was reinforced by skeleton structure in 1728. A new roof truss was erected, to which an apparent barrel vault was attached. The eastern gable wall was expanded with a post and lintel tower. In 1730 the entire inside of the church was covered with rich painted decoration. Between 1966-1967, the church was planked.
This is an orientated, single-nave building with a narrower triangularly closed presbytery. Adjacent to the nave at its western part is a tower with a narthex at its foot. The tomb chapel and the sacristy are both brick and plastered and are located at the northern part of the temple. The whole church is planked vertically, on the pedestal of carved stone. The church’s roof is steep and shingle-covered; however the tower has a pavilion roof crowned with a pyramid tent.
The inside of the church is covered with the apparent barrel vault rising above the cornice of the walls. The presbytery is marked by the rood beam with a crucifix in the middle, adorned with figures of the Mother of God and St John from 1728. The inner part of the church is coated with a beautiful and very rich baroque polychrome dating back to 1730 and depicting the scenes of life of Jesus, St Mary, the Apostles, the Evangelists, St Clemens and St Stanisław from Piotrowiny. It is supplemented with a plant ornament.
In the western part of the nave, there is a choir supported on two carved pales with full balustrade and historic organs. The main altar with the painting of St Clemens dating from about 1730 and two side altars and the pulpit are of baroque style. In the chapel separated from the church by steel bars from the first half of the 18th century, a baroque altar with a painting of the Lady of Solace (second half of the 18th century), famous for its graces, is located.
In the years 2017-2019 with the help of the European Union as part of the Operational Programme Infrastructure and Environment 2014-2020, restoration work of the inside and historic equipment of the church, was conducted.
The restoration of:
- the main regency altar from about 1730
- the baptistry from the second half of the 18th century
- the baroque pulpit from the first half of the 18th century
- two regency reliquaries from approx. 1730
- the baroque sculpture – Jesus the Crucified
- the procession cross from the second half of the 18th century
- the Passion – the figure of the Crucified from the 18th century
- Holy Mother of God’s altar in the side chapel, dating from the second half of the 18th century
- “The Baptism of Jesus” painting dating from the 18th century
- the sculpture of Christ the Resurrected from the second half of the 18th century
- putti – baroque figures of angels (three bigger and one smaller)
- the Golgotha (the sculpture on the beam of the chancel arch) a group of baroque folk sculptures: the Passion, the Lady of Sorrows, St John the Evangelist)
- the organ front from the 19th century
- the organs was conducted.