The characteristic of the current state of St Cross’s Church in Oborniki
The St Cross’s filial Church in Oborniki belongs to a Roman-Catholic Divine Mercy’s parish. The original St Cross’s Church was erected in 1604; however a new one was funded by Łucja Łojczykowska and built in the former’s location in 1766.
The temple is a typical example of a post and beam sacral architecture of this area of Poland from the second half of the 18th century. It is an orientated, and single-nave building. The outer walls are of log frame structure, filled with plastered brick, placed on the underpinning made of stone. The triangular closed presbytery is clearly lower than the nave and has a northern-located sacristy. A wooden tower is above the narthex in the western part of the nave. It is crowned with bulbous tent with a lantern and a cross. In the northern part of the nave, there is a narthex and a choir. The church is covered with a plain-tiled ridge roof, except for the top of the wall of the nave which is shingled.
The church’s inside is of consistent style dating back to the time of its construction. The nave and the presbytery share a common vault, which is flat and covered with a decorative polychrome imitating caissons with rosettes from the 20s of the 20th century. A realistic Eye of the Providence is painted above the presbytery. The entire inside of the temple is adorned with colourful polychrome.
During the works conducted in the years 2017-2019, the original decoration was discovered and renovated.
The equipment of the church consist of i.a. the late-baroque and rococo altars (dating back to the 17th and the 18th century), pulpits and confessionals. During the renovation works in 2018, a famous “Five-Wound Painting” depicting the symbolical presentation of five wounds of Christ was discovered. It dates back to the 16th century and has been renovated.
In the years 2017-2019 with the help of the European Union as part of the Operational Programme Infrastructure and Environment 2014-2020, restoration work of the inside and historic equipment of the church, was conducted.
The restoration of:
- the main altar the 17th and the 18th c.
- the St Family’s side altar (the 18th century)
- Our Lady of Sorrows’s side altar the 17th and the 18th century
- the pulpit (the 18th century)
- the procession crucifix the 18th century
- “Christ in Gethsemane” painting the beginning of the 20th century
- “Quo Vadis Domine” painting the 19th / 20th century
- wooden confessionals the 19th century
- the balustrade of the choir (the 17th century)
- the polychrome of the walls and the vault
- the organ front (the 19th century) was conducted.