The characteristic of the current state of St Lawrence’s Church in Mączniki
The St Lawrence’s parish was founded in the 13th century and was referred to in 1404 and later in bishop books in 1444. The original building was wooden and burnt down at the beginning of the 17th century. The current temple was erected in 1700 and funded by Hieronim Wierzbowski, the suffragan of Poznań. It was consecrated in 1701. A brick narthex was annexed to the western side of the church. After the World War II, the temple was underpinned, electrified and refurbished.
The church is an orientated, two-layer building. The inner layer is of log frame structure whilst the outer layer is of skeleton construction. It is also a planked, underpinned, single-nave, with a narrower triangularly closed presbytery church which has its sacristy at its northern side. The main entrance, in the form of a brick narthex, is located in the church’s western part. The roof is two-ridged and covered with laced plain tile. There is a little tower above the nave. Wooden walls of the nave and presbytery are planked: horizontally from the inside and vertically from the outside. Both the nave and the presbytery have barrel vaults, and the narthex and annexes all have horizontal planking.
Valuable and historic equipment is to be found in the inside. A crucifix and figures of St Mary and St John from the 17th century are located on the rood beam. In the main altar, there has been placed a three-floored wooden triptych dating back to the first half of the 17th century. It is polychromed, with paintings from the second half of the 16th century, and has three axes. The side altar with the figure of St Lawrence is rococo, and the second one with the sculpture of Jesus’ Heart is late-baroque. The latter’s retable dates back to the 17th century. The pulpit was initially thought to be baroque and was believed to date from 1700; however it has changed during the renovation and now it is reckoned to be much older. During the restoration works of the pulpit, table paintings depicting four figures of saints were discovered along with two figure paintings from the 17th century (late renaissance). A sandstone late-gothic 16th century baptistry constitutes a valuable relic as well.
In the years 2017-2019 with the help of the European Union as part of the Operational Programme Infrastructure and Environment 2014-2020, restoration work of the inside, historic equipment of the church and its structure was conducted.
The restoration of:
- the main altar
- the side altar of St Lawrence
- the side altar of Jesus’ Heart
- the pulpit with table paintings discovered during the restoration works
- the Crucifixion group (the figures of St Mary and St John the Evangelist) from the rood beam
- the polychrome of nave’s walls and the choir
- the reverse of the table paintings in the main altar
- the wall painting on the eastern wall
- the wooden vaults was conducted.