The characteristic of the current state of St Michael the Archangel’s Church in Jezierzyce Kościelne
The first references to Jezierzyce, a knight village, come from 1399. In 1466 documents mention Michael the parish priest. Before 1510 the church was annexed to Gołanice as a filial church. In the 14th century, it was taken by Protestants for a short period of time along with the temple in Gołanice. Then it was stably annexed to the church in Gołanice. In the fire of the 18th century, the original temple is likely to have burnt down entirely. The church was rebuilt and above the door of the tower there is an inscription with the date “1806”, which feasibly is the date of the end of the construction of the brick tower.
The current church is of log frame structure placed on brick underpinning. It is externally vertically planked. The original wooden foundation of the temple was destroyed and at the beginning of the sixties of the previous century the church was lifted, lined and secured by the parishioners. Orientated, single-nave, constructed on the base of a rectangular shape with an adjacent to the eastern part rectangular and narrower presbytery, the temple is attached to the sacristy and the narthex at its northern side. The entirety of the church is covered with a shingled gable roof. Being plastered at its foot and planked higher, a two-floor tower is attached to the church from the western side. The tower has a pavilion roof crowned with a spire. Windows, which have muntins, and doors made contemporarily are all rectangular.
The interior of the church is plastered, the nave and the sacristy is under a flat vault which transfers into an apparent barrel in the part of the presbytery. In the western part of the nave, the choir is supported on wooden pales with concrete vault in the subchoir.
The relics extant in the church consist of a historic baroque altar dating back to the first half of the 18th century with the pictures showing St Michael the Archangel in the middle and St John the Baptist in the antependium, the baroque pulpit from the first half of the 18th century, the later side altar from the 19th century and two older crucifixes from the turn of the 17th century and the beginning of the 18th century respectively. Between the years 2004-2006, the refurbishment of the tower, the roof and the interior was conducted. Both fire and burglary alarms were installed in 2006.
In the years 2017-2019 with the help of the European Union as part of the Operational Programme Infrastructure and Environment 2014-2020, restoration work of the inside and historic equipment of the church was conducted.
The restoration of:
- the main altar from the first half of the 18th century
- one of the side altars – the southern side from the 19th century
- a pulpit from late baroque from the first half of the 18th century
- the neo-baroque organ front dating back to the 19th century was conducted.
The location of the church:
St Michael the Archangel’s Church in Jezierzyce Kościelne
St 45 Leszczyńska
64-117 Krzycko Małe
Contact – parish minister in Gołanice; St Peter and Paul the Apostles’ Church
Gołanice, St 19 Parkowa; 64-117 Krzycko Małe
tel. 65 533-15-78