The characteristic of the current state of St Nicholas’s Church in Słopanowo
Słopanowo belonged to Cistercians since the 12th century. The parish per se existed in the 14th century. The building of the current church was conducted thanks to Jan Kąsinowski’s funding in the years 1695-1699. In the subsequent years, the late renaissance and baroque polychrome was painted in the inside. During the complete renovation of the roof, the truss and the shingle have been replaced. In the 90s, the tower was reconstructed and the planking was replaced.
St Nicholas’s Church represents the old gothic layout, typical of provincial wooden architecture of the time of Counter-Reformation. This is an orientated building with log frame structure, placed on a newer underpinning and externally planked. The tower has a post and lintel structure and is situated at the western part of the church. At the northern side of the nave, there is a narthex. The nave and presbytery are both covered with one shingled roof. The tower of the church is crowned with a lanterned roof and a dyadic bulbous shingled tent.
The temple has a one-naved interior. The nave is rectangular and the presbytery, which is triangularly closed, is slightly higher than the nave. The choir is located at temple’s western part. The nave is adorned with paintings of St Lawrence, St Stephen, Christ the Redeemer, and of the scenes of St Nicholas’s life. There is a painting of the devil tempting a woman located on the choir. It is exceptionally worth to pay attention to the pulpit and the baptistery from the 18th century, and the cross and the figure of St John dating back to the 17th century, which are all located on the rood beam.
There is a cemetery close to the church, on which former landowners with families are buried.
In the years 2017-2019 with the help of the European Union as part of the Operational Programme Infrastructure and Environment 2014-2020, restoration work of the inside and historic equipment of the church was conducted.
The restoration of:
- the main altar, along with the painting of St Nicholas, sculptures and other elements
- the sculptures from the chancel arch: Christ on the Cross, St Mary and St John
- the balustrade of the choir
- the organs was conducted.
St Nicholas’s Church in Słopanowo